Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Obvious Choice

First things first: "Congratulations, Joe."


After a couple years I can admit that perhaps Morneau's MVP case wasn't so clear-cut. In fact, he probably wasn't the MVP that year. But I can honestly say without a doubt that Mauer's honor is one of the most clear-cut, water-tight cases in history. There just isn't any debating.

In fact, I was surprised there wasn't more outcry from the Yankee fans I'm surrounded by. I wore a Twins t-shirt Monday in support of Joe and the decision that I knew was coming. Conveniently, two of the more avid Yankee fans at my office were both out, but the others that I did see didn't say a word. The TV in our office kitchen plays Sports Center on a loop practically all day, and even after the announcement came and everyone assuredly saw it, nobody said anything.

It was somewhat of a let-down. I was hoping for more vitriol to combat. Perhaps everyone is simply laying in wait to see if we can sign him to that long-term contract before they really speak up about the situation. Even my own enjoyment of Mauer's recognition is being tempered by the fact that I know we're only guaranteed one more year of him on our club.

(Is building a statue of him downtown next to Kirby Puckett and Harmon Killebrew not enough to convince him that he's a necessity?)

Anyway, I had another post in mind for today, but that's only because I completely forgot that I'd need to write something up about Mauer's MVP win. So, that means I'm going to have to put my intended post on ice for another time.

Instead, take heart, because for most of us this is a short week! Thanksgiving celebrations are (hopefully) allowing most of us to be done on Wednesday. So because nobody will really be around the office at all on Friday to read my weekly offseason series, I'm going to just pretend that Wednesday is Friday. So check back tomorrow morning for my next installment of Twins Bloggers: Get to Know 'Em, where I'll be interviewing Erin of Plunking Gomez. The weekend's almost here!

No comments:

Post a Comment