Monday, August 24, 2009

Just Checking In!


Feeling uninspired by Twins baseball recently, I went up to Rochester, NY for the weekend to go see a couple Red Wings games for the first time -- and boy was I impressed, both with the play and with the stadium and activities. I'll have a more detailed post up probably by Monday night or Tuesday morning.

My friend, Boston Dan (my token Red Sox fan), and I just got back into town from the trip and I've got a long day at work tomorrow but I want to get around to a write-up quick while everything's still fresh.

For now, let me leave you with two points Dan and I discussed ad nauseum during the trip:

1) What is the weird connection between Minnesota and Boston sports? Simply looking at baseball, they've received Tom Brunansky, Frank Viola, Rich Garces, Rick Aguilera, Jeff Reardon, David Ortiz, Dougie Baseball and Bobby Kielty (those are just from recent memory). And this isn't including our other sports where we see Randy Moss, Kevin Garnett, and Manny Fernandez wind up in Beantown. Also, the Miracle on ice team -- primarily Boston and Minnesota players. Not sure what I'm chasing after there, it's just something I've always noticed and came out more in our discussions this weekend in the long car ride between Manhattan and Rochester.

2) Best team in baseball history? Our suggested pick: the '94 Montreal Expos, debatable. But what a stacked line-up: Marquis Grissolm, Larry Walker, Wil Cordero, Moises Alou, Cliff Floyd, and a pre-Twins Rondell White. Then also had a young Pedro Martinez and John Wettelund. Sadly their amazing season was hampered by the  strike and we didn't get to see how good then could have been. -- Anyone have any thoughts on the best baseball team they remember?

Check back tomorrow for a detailed account of Rochester!

No comments:

Post a Comment